Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Rah Rah Rochester!

No I didn't! The title came from one of those handy "Experience Rochester" guides at the sprawling airport known as Rochester International. It's so funny to think of how sprawling this Mayo complex is downtown yet the airport I think has 4 maybe 5 gates.

So made the trip once again. Went smoothly, except I thought the plane in Minneapolis was going to just give up on getting a run way and drive us there. I swear we could have drove there faster. Felt like we taxied 10 miles. We never broke 10,000 ft before we started coming back down. It was funny. If you have to connect in Minneapolis ever make sure you get on the tram for your connecting gate because chances are you will be walking to Canada for your connecting flight. Here I thought putting Denver International in Kansas was bad. LOL.

Chose to stay at the Holiday Inn Express this time vs. Kahler Inn and Suites. I've stayed at the Kahler Inn probably 5-7 times since starting to come up to Mayo and each time the service and hotel has gotten worse and worse this last trip in Nov 07' was the straw that broke the camel's back. HIExpress room is great - cheaper, continental breakfast free and they have hard wire internet, none of that wireless stuff. Only possible drawback is the distance I have to walk to get to where I need to be when the rooster crows. Guy at the desk, not his name, tried telling me. "Well you come down to the 2nd floor go down that hallway take the skyway to this building, turn left take the skyway to this building, go downstairs turn right, turn left, go through this building and your at Mayo!" This should be interesting, they have this place set up! There's food, shoe shine, haircuts, you name it, all underground! It's like a maze down there. Lucky thing they have workers EVERYWHERE you can ask directions from.

Mayo in general. What can I say? I am just speaking for myself, but I think this place is simply amazing. I have never been to a hospital which is so organized, so patient friendly, so full of experts, so analytical. I guess in some ways they have to be the best around. Mayo is this town. As goes Mayo, I'm sure goes the town; so people really seem to take pride in helping others.

Tomorrow bright and early I have scheduled blood work, give them some other bodily fluid, and a Body Ct scan. I am praying to God that is all they need me to do. I am also praying to God that the results of the last 3 months have been nothing short of a miracle. In the afternoon, I meet with Dr. Torres, I think just mainly cause he wants to see me, see how things are going. I think the world of this guy. He has really pulled out all the stops in my treatment. When others said we need to go where no man has gone before, inside Doug, he said Waaaaaait a Min! Is this really necessary? I like doctors who slow down, consult with others before coming to conclusions. Following that I meet 3pm with Dr. Luthera to go over the results.

I had better sign off for now don't want to fall to sleep in the Ct machine, bang my head or worse!

Best!

No comments: